Friday 11 November 2011

Lucky

A big weekend ahead, not only in sport but also with remembrance. I am heading to Plymouth tomorrow to take in their game against Stourbridge and I'm sure many other journeys (much longer than that one I might add!) will be made by fans up and down the country to support their teams in the first round of the F.A Cup. I was lucky enough to score ten F.A cup goals along the way in my career (Oh and an own goal against Man United but let's not dwell on that!) and it was always special on an F.A cup day, so fingers crossed for all the South West teams involved tomorrow. I have reached the latter rounds with a few clubs and more recently we very nearly reached the fifth round at Torquay, twice in fact, so maybe it's your turn this year lads!!
I am sat here watching Derron Brown and thinking 'Am I lucky' and the answer is an unflinchingly sure one, YES I AM.
I live in Devon, I have a great family, three belting children, a half decent wife (Joking!), I am very handsome, and I have the ability to 'do' the 'pec dance'. Add to this that I have written a couple of books - incidentally the latter of which can still be bought at any decent bookshop!! - I have won the South West footballer of the year award (Ok it's not Sports Personality of the year award but come on let me have it!), I have played football for a living and, well the list could go on..................yes at this point you may be thinking you jumped up, vain so and so, but my point is that I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself this week and I'm not sure why really.
But, having watched a few programmes including World War heroes, and News at Ten and where I saw children the same age as mine working ten hours a day chopping cocoa beans out to feed the indulgence lot's of rotund westerners, I thought to myself, come on sunshine sort yourself out and celebrate the good things.
So with that in mind I am going to hug the children, maybe even the wife, headache permitting, I will polish the trophies (that is of course a joke), I will enjoy going back to a former club tomorrow, and after doing all of that, I will think long and hard about the future.

LOVE and REMEMBRANCE TO ALL

CH

No comments: