Thursday 5 May 2011

Pomp and circumstance?

Killer blow (Well not in the big scheme of things but you know it's still not good) the Sky TV is on the blink (broken). As much as I would love to converse with my good lady wife over a nice glass of red, or play a board game with the children (difficult anyway as the one who loses always throws the board upside down) our life has ground to a halt. I wouldn't say that I am obsessed with the TV, far from it - to be honest by the time I have sat down and the children are all tucked up it is about 10.pm ( about now in fact!!)- but you know what it's like when you have had a busy day, sometimes it is nice just to turn on the box and watch some 'escapism' TV - In other words I watch whatever my wife Fiona is watching
It is usually Katie Price, L.A Ink (although neither of us has a tattoo!)or any one of the thousand 'cooking' shows on the box.
The only time I ever get chance to watch the TV, and choose the channel I want, is either when a really important footy match is on, and me and the boy 'have' to take control of the remote, or when my wife has retired to bed (again about now). I can then flick through the channels to my hearts content (no comments please, I know what your thinking!). I will watch all the things that Fiona doesn't like (no comments please!), things like Blackadder, Alan Partridge, Fawlty Towers, QI, anything about the war, any old black and white classics, Sky Sports update, the News, all these great programmes have been robbed of me though what with the faulty lead/line/signal/connection, whilst I am still paying the bill (which all in, and for multi room etc, is a joke).
I am therefore cancelling Sky, because they have not only annoyed me for letting me down with no signal, they are also very expensive - and free view has almost everything anyway......................and breaaaaaaaaaattttttthhhhhhhhhh.

I have the memory of a sieve at the moment so apol (I overheard that shortened version of 'apologies' today and so had to use it) to anyone whose call I have missed, but the shop is nearly there, so in the not very distant future I really hope that anybody and everybody will come and see me in sunny Sidmouth - it would also help if you need a new pair of trainers, boots, a bat, a racket, a ball, a top........................................and so on.

And finally, the book is also nearly there. It has been very, very hard to write it, not just with supplying the content, or with the failing memory, but with the fact that I have written it whilst I have been coming to terms with retiring from football, that has been the toughest part. Don't get me wrong, earning money is quite an important factor when finishing a football career, and that part has pushed my wife and I to the edge at times, but that pales into insignificance with not having the match day buzz, the post match relief, and the training routine of the last couple of decades. Onwards and upwards now though and the future for me is Sports Republic and a certain football book called 'Where's Your Caravan'.

P.S I can't even remember if I mentioned 'THE' wedding, and if I didn't I am ashamed, but for the record (again sorry if in fact I have already mentioned it) I that thought Kate looked thoroughly magnificent. She was absolutely radiant, and I am also not ashamed to say that, amongst the inevitable pomp and ceremony that always exists in these mainly aristocrat affairs, it was a great sight to see so many people watch such an unusual event. Unusual in the fact that there aren't many countries that can pull off such a well organised and historic setting for the young royals. And for all those anti-royalists out there, pulling in 2 billion viewers worldwide must mean that someone still rates the fact that for all it's faults (and I know there are many) this country has Kings, Queens,Prince's and Princesses, and some pretty damn impressive weddings to show off. Harry and William have single handedly pulled the monarchy back into the hearts of the British public and for that, as any self respecting 'Hoorah Henry' would say "Here, here"

CH

2 comments:

Sal said...

Yeah, hear hear!! I loved every minute of the wedding!
There are too many people who spout off about getting rid of our Royal Family, without really thinking of the consequences. The money made from just the wedding alone was a vast amount...from the production of mugs, tea towels etc to replica wedding dresses etc!
We certainly showed,to the rest of the world,that we can do things 'properly' and as I sat and watched,I felt rather proud to be English!
BTW our 'Sky' packed up yesterday too...must be a Devon thing!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Both me and Tom (and the girls for that matter!) went to Argyle today whilst continuing the Villa/Houllier/McAllister Boycott and there was a rather snazzy photo of you in the Prog in your PAFC days - looking like a refugee from Spandau Ballet!!!