Monday 9 March 2009

Adrenaline Junkie

I have just read an article on base jumpers, madmen and women who just love jumping off mountains and, more often than not, skyscrapers. Recently a Frenchman and and an Englishman climbed the 155 floors of Dubai's newly constructed, and the Worlds biggest, 'Burg' tower, skyscraper. At around 5.30 a.m, after a short look over the building site that is Dubai, they leaped off the half - mile high building. They landed, escaped security guards and lived to tell the tale.
It may just be me, but whenever I am at the top of a big building or bridge the first thought that pops into my head is that of.....Wonder what it would be like to jump off ?. No, I have not got suicidal tendencies! It is the same instinct that jumps into your head when, at a wedding, or a school assembly, or even a dinner party you think about shouting Blah blah blah blah at the top of your voice!!, maybe that one is just me!.
There must be a line though that you, or your mind, crosses to do something that is beyond the risky. I'm talking jumping the Grand Canyon on a bike ( Evil Knievel ), or climbing into a barrel and being pushed over Niagara falls. Or in fact, as in Phillipe Petit's case, to walk across a tightrope between the now infamous twin towers. Incredibly this man, Phillipe Petit evaded security to rig up the thin piece of wire, attaching it to both towers, before walking across the 30 yrd gap. He didn't do it once, he walked it eleven times in forty minutes with only a 25ft balancing pole for company!!!!.
My wife and I actually went for a meal at a restaurant at the top of one of those towers and it was a long, long way down. I think the reason people do these crazy stunts is sometimes for fame but more often than not for the rush of adrenaline you get. That is why I have pencilled in the skydive, the white water rapids, climbing Everest, wing walking and the purchasing of a Ducati 996 ( maybe that one is a mid life crisis ). For now though the combination of Red Bull and the pre-match bell is enough adrenaline for me.

CH

No comments: