Friday 23 April 2010

St George's Day

Our patron saint St George, you know the one, the brave Roman knight who slayed the dragon (allegedly) and died protesting against the Romans' torture of Christians. Amazingly enough, for a country that celebrates someone elses Saint more than our own (St Patricks), a quarter of people living in England do not even know who their patron saint is, or when St George's day is celebrated.
Yes I accept I am slipping back into 'Stato' mode, but hell while I am on a roll, today is also by tradition red rose day and April 23rd is also the date on which Shakespeare was born - and died bizarrely enough.
You don't often see many homages to our dragon slaying hero though so it was refreshing to walk through a hotel lobby today and see a ten foot high model of St George on a horse slaying a ten foot tall green dragon, great effort!
As far as facts are concerned, at the moment I am busy digging deep into the memory bank to remember some of my early footballing days. I am busy writing away for the 'big' book, and although it is not going to be published until August 2011 there are 100,000 words to produce and a publisher to please (second batch next week Scott!) To go back to 1989 you may think would be quite difficult, and although I wouldn't say it feels like yesterday it really does feel that not so long ago I was making my debut. It is great to reminisce about the good old days on the pitch - but reminiscing about drinking Pernod and black in large quantities, fighting in nightclubs, and basically getting up to all sorts of mischief is a little bit harder to write about.
I obviously want to stay in football but this early foray into the media has been a lot of fun and something I hope to continue. In fact I am just trying to find the perfect location for a cover shot for the book, so please don't be alarmed if you have a caravan and you see me having a picture taken in front of it - 'Where's Your Caravan' sort of demands a caravan shot!.

CH

No comments: