Wednesday 9 February 2011

Debate

Three main points tonight, firstly I cannot believe the furore (great word) surrounding the case of a fourteen year old being left at home with their three year old sibling. Mum had only nipped to the shop (not to Majorca for a week, or down to the Nags Head), and the elder child was extremely responsible, and yet Mum has now been suspended until further notice and effectively banned from working with children for ten years. Basically a woman already trying to juggle having a job and looking after her children is now even worse off, unable to work and labelled irresponsible. For Christ sake someone show some sense here.
Secondly, Gypsy sites, and we have to be careful here because I am all for the free spirit and traveler in us - I am also well versed in the common rendition of 'Where's your caravan' having had it sung to me over the last fifteen years or so (this also happens to be the title of my second book DUE OUT IN AUGUST 'ish' and available at all good bookshops!), but, and it is a big but, the words 'permanent site' cannot sit comfortably with everyone, after all isn't it an ever so slight contradiction for the gypsy and traveler community?

Thirdly, our cricketers have returned from Australia having won the Ashes, and, well no one is really bothered. Why? because it was about six weeks ago, and also because the team had to play in the one day series which was duly lost 7-1. A brilliant achievement like winning the Ashes should have been celebrated straight away, not after a one day series that no one wanted to play in!
Discuss!!!



CH

1 comment:

Sal said...

OK..Here goes!

Firstly, I think it is ridiculous that this mother should be cautioned and lose her job when she has not actually broken any law!
So, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with what she did, until there is such a law in place,I don't see how anyone can judge her/ban her/reprimand her.
So, there you have a mother, who, instead of sitting on her backside and claiming benefits,obviously works hard to keep things going...
but now could be forced to claim benefits. Just what this country needs. And as you say...where's the common sense?
(Unless there's more to this story than we know!)

Having said that, I would never have left my children in the care of a 14 year old, no matter how responsible that 14 year old might have been.
Firstly, accidents can happen in a flash and just how quickly can a 14 year old react...say for instance if the younger child choked OR cut his head open
badly by running into a door frame ( as my own son did when he was three...I have never seen so much blood!) OR ..well you get me
there are so many possibilities/nightmare scenarios.

Secondly, re the gypsy/traveller/permanent home thing. I suppose that there are certain times of the year when they do need a more 'permanent' home.
However, I think the word 'permanent' ought to be replaced with the word 'temporary'. That, to me, seems to sit better .
And moving swiftly on... (as I know little about the gypsy way of life, even though my OH often calls me a gypsy ( he has his reasons!!)

Finally, I completely agree with you re our England cricketers.
To go out to Australia and achieve what they did, was amazing!
All that 'one day shenanigans' was a totally different game...many people don't realise that. And it kind of took the shine off the Ashes win...which also now seems like ancient history, it was so long ago!
I have no idea if David Cameron is planning some sort of welcome home/reception/celebration but he flamin' well ought to be.
An achievement like this doesn't happen often. It helps to unite our country, give us a bit of the feel good factor, help us feel proud to be English
and generally lifts our spirits....and boy do we need that!!

;-)