Thursday 13 May 2010

Chit - Chat

Carnage on the motorways, the end of 'SATS' week, the merging of a new party, the resignation of another, the emergence of tadpoles as pets, a Birthday meal out, chores on an epic scale, and a general catch up with the family just about sums up this week. Oh yes, and before I forget, this Sunday is the biggest game in Oxford Utd's recent history. Pretty much a normal week then!
It was nice to go out with my gang on Wednesday night for a fight with a pair of chopsticks and a bowl of noodles. We returned home to destroy a cheesecake (what a cheeeeese...cake!) and to watch Fulham's gallant attempt to win the Cup. The joy of winning and the heartbreak of losing can only be really understood by those who's life football is - player, manager, fan, or chairman. I don't think people always realise the impact results have on your life. It was certainly the case for me and for the couple I met the other day. After my birthday meal we popped in to a well known department store (even on my B'day!). While I was waiting for the girls a man came up to me and his conversation went something like this.......
"I see you are in the final on Sunday then. Do you remember the time I bumped into you getting fish and chips after the Exeter play-off game. You know the one where you lost at the death, what a game eh. Oh what a game do you remember? In fact do you remember the game against Exeter when you were at Oxford, you lost that as well. That was amazing eh"

The reaction in my head went something like this....
"No I had completely forgotten mate, what the game where my heart was ripped out and spat out and my wife and kids were in tears, yes what a brilliant game! and how good of you to remember the Oxford game. That was a corker eh, my last game for the club, meaning I had to up root the whole family and hope that I got another club somewhere. Yes great memories, anyway what shall we talk about now, the Ebola virus or the third world deficit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I actually said was....
"Yes I remember, yes unbelievable eh, football eh"

In a snapshot that is the difference between football being someones life, and someone talking to a football person. Of course I can laugh about it and shrug it off, and I regularly do!, and I know the guy in question meant no harm but wouldn't it be amazing one day if I walked up to a random bloke and said.."Hi there what about last year when the stock market crashed and it meant you had to move companies, that was amazing eh, and then the company you went to actually moved it's branch to Azerbaijan, and you all had to leave, incredible"!.

No that would be offensive!

CH

No comments: