Monday 31 May 2010

Service

Well I have been wiped out for a few days. Not a bed ridden, lucozade, grapes, type of illness. No, it was more of a headache (never really had one before), face ache (didn't even know it existed), very tired (how can Tarzan be tired?), coughing up green stuff like I have been smoking fifty 'Bensons' a day (I know you didn't need to know that but I had to share it with you!) type of illness.
Not to worry though, a much needed visit from my folks (Avy and Mart), some beach relaxation (although I never sat down) and a few press ups and I feel a lot better.
I did actually ring the NHS direct at one point. After I had explained my symptoms the first lady on the other end of the line said "Shall I order you an ambulance as you are describing stroke like tendencies"....my reply "Well I would rather you didn't as I don't really fancy an ambulance rocking up in the close and I think the kids might be a tad distressed!!
Its amazing how much I perked up after speaking to the second (less cautious) nurse who said it was more likely a sign sinusitis/cold/rundownness (not a word I know!).
Anyway today I feel better ish as we enjoyed a real old school day at the beach with. Three generations of Hargreaves along with, deck chairs, doughnuts, a funfair, ice-creams, and a meal in a pub.
I have commented on several eateries on my blog, usually all favourable I might add. But today it was poor. The establishment was The Grove in Exmouth, a great venue and somewhere that should be spot on. But no, the staff had faces like the proverbial smacked **** and were as motivated as the inmates on death row. The burgers were cool (not as in 'Phat' cool!), the vegetable lasagne (bad choice by Avy I accept) came with a Groucho Marx tash and glasses, the Steak and Kidney pudding was a 'Pudding' and the beer was at best, wet!. All in all not great. It may have been an off day - staff out last night etc etc, normal chef not in etc etc - but I think the microwave in the back was taking a serious hammering and at around a tenner for a main course it gets 'Donkey of the week' from yours truly.
I am providing a service here for all those poor families who go out to eat as a treat and end up being very disappointed and a few quid lighter.
I used to be a true Brit (never complain just take it on the chin) but my wife and I were in New York a few years ago having a break (I know big time eh!!!!!!) but anyway we were eating at a really good place and everything was fantastic. As my wife was about to drink (sink) her glass of wine she noticed a smudge of lipstick on the glass, it was nothing much so we just dismissed it and carried on.
However the guy opposite noticed and called over "Hey you guys i'll get the waitress straight away, come on". He did that and she came straight over. The guy continued "Hey these guys have a glass full of lipstick over here". The waitress shot over and was totally mortified saying "I'm so sorry let me sort that straight away". The result was not a free glass of wine, no, it was a free bottle of wine, delivered with lightning precision and with another massively unneeded apology.
The guy who had brought it to the waitresses attention turned to us and said "You Brits are too nice, it's all about the service. Your paying, and if it ain't right, your not".
The thing was that the waitress actually thanked the guy who had told her, there were no 'dummies' spat out and everyone carried on as normal. You get my point!

CH

P.S

No comments: