Tuesday 18 May 2010

Finale

It has been one hell of a last few months. This is the first time I have had time to sit down and reflect on those eventful months. Obviously the weekend was incredible, so many fans made the journey to Wembley to see the team win and with it gain league status. Being on the pitch is the only place to be at Wembley and I couldn't help but feel a tinge of pain as I saw the lads run out, but to be with the team and to be able to help with a bit of last minute advice and support was a close second.
As I spoke to James Constable - just before he set off to climb the steps and collect the winners trophy - I couldn't help but think about last season and doing the same thing myself.
I had been saying to the lads before the play-offs to imagine themselves scoring and lifting the cup and that it would then happen. I know this because I said it to myself before last seasons epic run in! As with most clubs there are always some special people behind the scenes and at Oxford this is no exception. I have just travelled back from Oxford after joining the squad for an open top tour of the city. As I left the Town hall (and the lads to party hard) I spoke to Jim Rosenthal and his pleasure at seeing the club back in the league was huge. People like Jim are there for the club in good and bad times, once a fan always a fan as they say.
Leaving Torquay hurt me a lot and I honestly didn't see it coming but joining Oxford has been a sort of mission that had to be completed. I wanted to lead the club back up as a player and although it hasn't quite gone according to plan I had the stomach for the fight and wanted to help the club and it's manager achieve their goal. After around 10,000 miles in the car, a few more injections and stitches, plenty of hotel stays, and a bucket load of stress at work and at home that goal has been reached.
I sit here now with the children tucked up in bed oblivious to the ins and outs of football and I wonder what the future holds, on and off the field. And so there we are, another season over!

I left Wembley with my parents on Sunday night to travel 'up north' for a celebration of someones life due the following morning - I call it a celebration but of course it was actually a funeral, the funeral of Guy Allen.
Guy was a larger than life character who loved football and fish! He was the same person at the helm of a company worth millions or with a fish round worth pounds. He got it all, had it all, and lost it all. His generosity was incredible, whether it be holding huge parties, buying gifts for people, or slipping 'twenties' into top pockets. He made a big influence on me in my life and his death has only reminded me of his spirit, enjoy life and don't take **** from anyone.


CH

No comments: