Thursday 8 January 2009

The Captain's Wife's Blog


After weeks of being subjected to the ramblings of my husband he thought that it would be a good idea if I was to take hold of the reigns for a special edition guest blog. So here we go- this is how it really is in the world of football and in The Hargreaves household. The truth - hot off the press from a Blue Square Premier WAG.

The gloves are off now honey bun – as they say in Yorkshire “The truth will out”

Well it has been a long journey down to Devon and Torquay, about 20 years at the last count. You will be surprised ,or not, to know that I have been beside the long haired dynamo (gypo as sometimes referred to on the terraces) since that first game at Grimsby Town aged 17 with short hair and even shorter shorts!! Yes I was there freezing to death trying to look glam aged 17 and wearing very unsuitable clothing.
Blundell Park has got be one of the coldest grounds in the country, but I could take it back then. On a Saturday evening I could be found queuing - Christian walked straight to the front! - at the Pier 39, as mentioned in a previous blog, a lovely nightclub!!. Braving storm force gales and tidal waves and sporting my latest velvet hot pants and bra top. It was the 80’s so please forgive me. So Saturday afternoons on the terraces were not too bad in comparison.

20 years on I have realised that thermals and sensible shoes are essential if you are to enjoy watching the game. I have to say though Saturdays game against Blackpool was extremely cold, but the Hargreaves family kept warm by jumping up and down frequently and shouting a lot. I am not one for sitting calmly and saying nothing at games. I’m afraid when it comes to watching number 14 Chris Hargreaves we are all quite family are quite vocal. (Mrs Hargreaves my mother-in-law in particular!!!)

Torquay United is truly a family friendly club and we are all very well looked after. Many of the players and wives have children and even those who don’t all get on well. We have been at many clubs (10 I think maybe more, I’ve lost count!!) and wives, girlfriends and children are often forgotten. Not that we expected to be treated differently, but it is nice to see friendly faces on a matchday. I remember one club we were at for 2 seasons, the same people gave me my tickets every week and asked me my name every time for 2 whole years. I must have one of those faces easily forgotten!!!! That was the same club that I walked past a certain Mrs Mansell for a whole season without either of us saying a hello. We do laugh about it now, but it just goes to show how different things can be.

On to the main man Mr Hargreaves, well what can I say about him. Well there’s a lot I can tell you the highs, the lows and the in-between times, but I think most importantly it is that as a Player he has always given 110% to every club he has been at. He is dedicated to his profession and always tries to do the right things to stay fit and healthy. That is one of the reasons he is still playing today. The main reason is of course me. My support, my sympathetic ear after a defeat, the fact I always make sure there is ice in the freezer for all of those sore groins and that I am always so interested to hear how the games have gone. Behind every great man there is ALWAYS an even greater woman. It’s so true!!
I think that I will leave the embarrassing stories and moans about his bad habits (shocking but he’s not perfect he does have some) until my next guest spot. I have however managed to find a couple of pictures that I’m sure you will all appreciate.

I’ll sign off for now as currently multi tasking, cooking the dinner, bathing Harriet, putting her to bed, writing this blog, checking facebook and getting the uniforms ready for school in the morning. All tasked need to be completed by 8.45pm when the remaining Hargreaves family members return from football training and athletics. Then the second serving of dinner will then commence, followed by more bathing children and we may get to sit down about 10 ish for 5 minutes before bed.

So you can see that it is a very glamorous life that we live.

Fiona wife of CH

No comments: