Sunday 4 January 2009

F.A Cup 4th Round Draw

Who will it be ? Time 2.05 p.m


Answer; Coventry City at home. Time 4.45 p.m
Just returned from the club after watching the 4th round Draw. With so many Premiership clubs going in the first few draws our chances of getting a big club were dwindling fast. Seeing us get Coventry was at first a bit of a blow, but although it could have been better it could certainly have been a lot worse.
The club will make money, we are playing a championship club and it is a game that we can win !. See you on the 24th.

I must just mention yesterdays game, the lads put so much effort into that performance and thoroughly deserved to win. There was a great feeling in the changing room before the match never mind after !.
The atmosphere in the stands was also great, it really helps the team to see and hear the fans in force.
I, along with quite a few of my team mates, feel a bit battered and bruised today. After some games it can really feel like you have hardly broken sweat (usually games that have been won) whereas after others it can feel like you have been involved in a prizefight, which brings me nicely onto my late night T.V exploits.
When all was quiet, my parents had retired as had my wife and children, I started to trawl the channels and there it was ' The Thriller in Manilla'.
All I can say is, if you haven't seen it then watch it !. Two of the worlds best Heavyweights, Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, fight head to head in Manilla (Africa) for 14 gruelling rounds . In the end the Frazier corner stop their fighter from taking part in the 15th round as they feared for his life. He had fought almost the entire 14th round blind such was the damage to his eyes. This resulted in Ali winning the fight. Unbeknown to the Frazier corner Ali after the 14th round had sat down on his stool completely shattered and said " Cut my gloves off I'm done, it's over !".
This would have handed Frazier victory but as it transpired they had already made the decision and Ali's victory it was.
To this day Frazier still shows a real hate for Ali who in the lead up to the fight had made a few personal comments about him. In 2008 Ali apologised, but over 30 years on and Joe Frazier is unrepentant. His answer phone message says it all.
" My name is Joe Frazier, sharp as a razor. Yeah floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee ( Ali's famous boast ). I'm the man who done the job he knows, look and see. Call me, bye bye."

Which basically means look at Muhammad Ali now, suffering badly from Parkinson's Syndrome, I did that to him !!. Pretty hardcore stuff. An amazing fight, an amazing programme.


CH

No comments: