Sunday 28 June 2009

Saturday Off

It still feels strange to be able to relax and actually enjoy a Saturday off!. Of course I love playing on a Saturday afternoon but it is nice to know you can go out with the family or friends for the weekend without worrying what the score will be!. Yesterday the Hargreaves gang visited Drogo Castle, near Okehampton, the last castle to be built in this country. Without boring you to death with my love of stats, it was, incredibly, built as late as 1931 for the Drewe family.
Part of it still remains a residence for some family members but it's incredible to think that so soon after it was built, in the 30's, it became part of The National Trust in the 70's. Don't get me wrong, if it wasn't we couldn't get to look round it and enjoy it, but I just think it's a shame that it isn't still someones house to be enjoyed and used as it should be ( you know party's, hidden plasma's, secret rooms etc ) at least for a few hundred years anyway. After all isn't that what normally happens with a castle!.
After Drogo we drove to Bude so that the children could jump in the sea to cool off. This Devon life has definitely got to me, I want a camper van, I love surfing, I wouldn't mind a beach hut, and I've even started saying "Get on" !.

There is just over a week to go before we start start back now and although things have been quiet at the Football club recently I'm sure that will change very quickly, especially when the pre-season games begin. Unfortunately I will not be able to play in the first few, on account of my nose being broken again ( twice, but this time straightened and under anaesthetic! ).
Before I return to training though, there is still the small matter of the family camping trip to contend with next week. The last camping trip involved a hurricane, the edge of a cliff, a rabid badger, lot's of rain, no sleep, no shower's and a broken back. Bring it on!.

CH

No comments: