Tuesday 16 June 2009

Signed up

Signed, sealed and delivered. I am delighted to have signed a new contract at the club. The last five months of the season was an uncertain time, especially for my wife who asked me every day if I had heard anything!, but it didn't come down to money and contracts at that time. It just came down to achieving promotion, the rest, as is usually the case, takes care of itself - it's a good job we won though !!!.
I want to thank everybody for their tremendous support, it's been a real honour to Captain this club and I am really happy to be staying.
Hopefully that same group of lads can kick on and do well again next season, no predictions, but there is no reason why it can't happen.
With the fixture list coming out tomorrow I'm sure the excitement will build, but, speaking for myself, I'm still loving the relaxation and enjoyment of this summer break!. In saying that, after being at the club today I decided to get the old ( dusty ) trainers out and give them, and me, a bit of an airing! - apart from the odd blast at tennis, a bit of surfing, and a few kick-ups with Cam, the ball, boots and trainers have been firmly put away since Wembley - in fact it's the first time in twenty years I have given myself more than a week off.
I set off as I always have ( on a six mile trek ) on the country roads. It's a type of old school mentality of mine to hammer it on the first run, a sort of 'you won't break me' theme!. The first two miles or so went well but then I kicked my own calf ( bizarre I know ) which started to burn, then I got a bad blister which grew with every step and finally my hip shouted "Replacement" at me. I finally got home, ( no stopping on runs, it's a no no !) walked straight in to the back garden and put my legs under the tap for ten minutes - steam was literally coming off them!.
I am currently hobbling about and in desperate need of a dog basket to lie in for a few days!.
Don't be alarmed though, it's the same if you are twenty seven or thirty seven, you have to go through the pain first before your body can say "What else have you got then, bring it on!". For the moment though I will be getting some great usage from the outside tap.

P.S Pictures of road trip will surface, just not yet, as I am cream crackered.

P.P.S Sorry I couldn't play tennis Jas, anyway it will give you time to learn to serve overarm!!

CH

No comments: