Monday 2 August 2010

Space

Yesterday was a chance to get together with a few friends to have some great food, build some sandcastles, play some boules, but most of all to celebrate Hatties birthday - Beating Nicholson and Miller at Boules was also a high point.

I don't know whether at the moment I am a little bit short of patience and I'm not sure if this sort of thing only affects me but at the weekend I was on the verge of having to physically move someone who had stepped well inside my exclusion zone (no it wasn't you Kev!). It's the sort of thing you come across when you are talking to someone (usually non family and non close friend) and they step past the 'three feet away is a comfortable distance thank-you very much' zone. These sort of people are a menace to society and rationality (if that word exists) and this occasion was a prime example.
I was in a queue at a well known shop ( the one where you order your product, get a ticket, wait for your number to be displayed, and where, when you were younger, the Elizabeth Duke jewellery section took a hammering for Birthday's and Christmases ) Anyway I was about third in the queue to order my product (Gazebo in green) and, as normal, the customers in front would move towards the till after each order. But for some reason the man behind me, surprisingly complete with girlfriend, decided that the best place for him in the line was 17 and a half inches behind me. Every time I edged forward he breathed down my neck within a foot of seeing what the label in my top said (as it happens it said 'H and M').
In the end, such was his excitement to get his hands on his order, which was either a his and hers foot spa or a back, nose, and ear hair strimmer (he would have needed a heavy voltage) that he almost stumbled into me. I had no choice but to turn round and explain my views to him in the form of a heavy stare and a rolling of the shoulders to imitate my desperate need for space. I think he got the message and in the end I picked up my sixty seven piece Gazebo and walked out comfortable in my own space. Am I a weirdo? have I got issues? are you the same? Please discuss!!!!!!.

CH

No comments: