Sunday 17 October 2010

Thrillers

All sorts of goings on this weekend in the world of football. Three of my old clubs were involved in seven goal thrillers. Firstly Torquay, and as much as it must have been an exciting game for the spectator (well definitely for the Bury fans anyway), I'm sure the home changing room at Plainmoor will have been a bit fiery after Saturday's game. Northampton Town were another one of my old teams on the receiving end of a comeback at the weekend, and I think my old mate 'Sammo' will have reached for the 'tea cups' after seeing his side lose.
After famously beating Liverpool in the cup, they now find themselves near the bottom of league 2, as do Hereford, again an old team of mine, although they must have had one hell of a lift after pegging the 'Cobblers' back from 3-0 down, to win 4-3.
We all know this game by now though, it can turn very quickly, sometimes in a good way, and sometimes in a bad way, it's just how you handle those bad times that makes the difference.
I don't often harp on about the troubles of football clubs, but I will make an exception for Liverpool. After being by far the most dominant club in England for a couple of decades, they now find themselves in utter turmoil. They have slowly lost the identity that made them the giant of the domestic and European game. Too many bad players, too many managers, and definitely too many owners, has not only seen the club burdened with a huge debt, it has also seen half a dozen teams overtake them in terms of status. I'm sure they will rise again, but at the moment the club is at rock bottom. Bring back the yellow away kit with the subtle red pinstripe (I wore it with pride), bring back King Kenny (to play!), bring back Crown paint as sponsors, and bring the good times back to the original 'Mighty Reds' so that my mate Jase can start enjoying the Merseyside derby game again.
They say 'You'll never walk alone' but they also say don't let Americans buy clubs and don't don't buy midfield players from abroad, for twenty million quid, who can't score, tackle, create, head, or track back.


As far as home life is concerned, all is quiet. I think I may be talking about that side of things a bit too much at the moment, so for now it's lock down.

CH

No comments: