Wednesday 13 October 2010

Wembley nightmare

From Kitchen Nightmare to Wembley nightmare. As mentioned in my last blog I watched the highlights of the England game last night, and I have to say I'm glad it was only highlights. What a bad game. Capello is either struggling to get his message across or he is now struggling to inspire his players. Playing for England is undoubtedly tough but surely we must be winning games like that. I think Capello needs help, and not just with his English, he needs a right hand man. Last night I looked at the bench and sat next to Capello was Ray Clemence.
Don't get me wrong he was a great keeper, but if our national team manager is in need of a second opinion or a bit of guidance in an important game I very much doubt Ray Clemence is the man to do it. I could be wrong, and I'm sure old Raymondo knows more about the international scene than me, but an ex keeper who has never managed (but who has hung on in there, reign after reign) surely cannot give an informed tactical decision on World football.
Obviously Stuart Pearce is usually there, but he has publicly stated that he hasn't the experience for the job, again not a massive help when massive tactical decisions need making. So that leaves Capello, still berating his players, still struggling with the language, and still giving the impression that he could take it or leave it. All for the princely sum of 6 million pounds a year. Whats the answer I hear you say. Short term, sack Capello (he would get another club straight away anyway), give the job to Harry Redknap, use the four million a year you would save on his wages to the coaches in the country who are struggling to do the job they love, and start getting the players to play with a smile on their faces. Long term, cut the pitch sizes in half at youth level, make it easier for good footballers with football brains to get qualified to coach, have a winter break for players to stop any late season burn out (e.g Rooney World Cup), use more players from the championship if they are good enough, and totally reshuffle the board at the F.A.
Amen.


In other news, I must dash as I think I may have left an old oil painting down the back of my sofa, and I haven't yet checked my lottery ticket from the 113m jackpot draw.

CH

No comments: