Tuesday 23 November 2010

Star quality

It's not often that I would write about a bit of good quality radio chat, but yesterday afternoons offering was an exception. Richard Bacon's interview with Bette Midler was brilliant - for our younger readers, Bette is a very famous singer and actress - she went on to talk about her rise to fame and her disbelief at today's microwave stars 'done in no time but soon burnt to a crisp', that's my analogy so I hope you like it!
An appearance on the Johnny Carson show catapulted her into the public eye, incredibly she was also the last person to perform on that very show - for our younger readers Johnny Carson was, at his height, one of the most famous faces in America, interviewing hundreds of A-list stars - Mrs Midler was generally amazed at the world of celebrity now and how reality shows have shaped the stars of today.
Today's 'stars' don't really have careers any more, they just burn brightly for a while, burn out, and are then forgotten. I wonder how many faces we will remember from this years X-factor, come to think of it how many can you remember from last year?
It was just a nice piece of old school wisdom and I thought I would share it with you!

I feel I have to talk about 'I'm a celebrity, get me a mini frozen Yorkshire pudding with beef, cos aaaarrrreee Mums go to Iceland' because it is just absolutely horrific. In no particular order, the jail thing is an utter joke, Gillian is on the wrong show and if we are supposed to take nutritional advice from someone like her then we really are all doomed, I still have no idea who Aggro is, and Limpit truly is a total weasel. Well done Nigel for walking and Shaun to win.


CH

No comments: