Thursday 5 February 2009

It's a Boy

Breaking news! Dan my next door neighbour, Fireman and Tennis rival has just knocked on the door and announced the arrival of his and Jen's new baby boy. Dan has not slept for a day or so but said that Mum and Baby are great. Well done you guys, see you soon!.

Thanks again Jodie, you performed an intricate operation with skill and patience today. Yes I popped into Jodes Salon- Torquay today and Jodie a good friend, and my club sponsor, took at least an inch of my hair. That is a short back and sides for me !!. See you in a couple of months !.

I visited The South West MS centre yesterday to talk about a Charity Event
taking place there on March 25th. The MS centre, otherwise known as The Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Centre is a place were sufferers of the disease are given support, help and therapy. The range of therapies include high dosage Oxygen therapy, physiotherapy and massage to name but a few.
The reason I have come across this sort of treatment is that many football clubs and physios now use this type of treatment for injuries. Specifically Oxygen therapy. This involves breathing pure Oxygen through a face mask whilst sitting in the chamber under pressure.
I first had this treatment at Brentford, basically having torn my calf I had several sessions in the week and managed to play in the 4th round of the F.A cup on the Saturday. Martin Allen, the then Brenford manager was also very persuasive !!.
Wayne Bridge, the then Chelsea player was also having the treatment for a broken leg at the time.
As well as pampered footballers, and their injuries, there are obviously many other cases of people with injuries, such as burns and breaks, as well as MS sufferers who really benefit from the treatment. I have spoken to quite a few Men and Women who wax lyrical about the benefits they get from the Oxygen therapy, especially MS sufferers, who ironically have to be referred to it by a Doctor as no scientific studies have been definitive on the results.
I remember being in the chamber one time, it was full and one-by-one people were discussing why they were there.." I have very bad burns" said one , " I have recently lost a leg" said another, and "I really suffer with my MS " another added.
"And you" ? somebody asked me, and what did I say ? " Oh I have torn my abductor muscle....it's tough" . The reaction was great, lots of laughter and banter. There really are some brave and humble people out there, with amazing senses of humour.

Anyway! Esme, the lady who runs the MS centre, and kindly gives access to the treatment for next to nothing, has asked me if I would be one of their 'prisoners' for the day. Basically I will be 'Captured' and held to ransom, I will then phone friends ( generous ones !) and ask them if they would contribute to my 'Release' in the form of money. This then goes to the MS centre, as it is a self funding charity.

So, friends and family please keep your phones on, and wallets warmed up, as on the 25th March you may get a call !.

CH

The South West MS Centre
01392 447411
E-Mail: info@southwestmscentre.co.uk

No comments: