Friday 27 February 2009

Marathon Man

A strange kick-off time, an old club, live on TV and I cannot wait. Yes we are in front of the cameras again in what is a tough game. Oxford have been on a great run of form but these are the games ,as a player, you want to play in week in week out. You have to try to enjoy you football otherwise it can drive you mad so no predictions, ifs and buts, crystal balls, tea leaves, or signs in your water!. We are going there after a solid weeks training and what will be will be. That is as long as we win of course!!!.
I popped in to Jodes salon for another short back and sides today - an inch off all round !. I am though, slowly but surely, preparing myself for the 'Big' cut. I am seriously considering getting the fleece sheared for the summer, the only thing that is stopping me at the moment is the fact that I want to run the London Marathon. The reason I need my hair long for 26 mile slog is all in my proposed outfit for that particular day. Running the Marathon dressed as Tarzan definitely requires long hair, so maybe I run it but tie in a haircut at the end of the race. There is also the small matter of the football season still to play out.
All these influencing factors are conspiring against me, sorry Jodie but for now it's still a pair of scissors and not a set of clippers.

At the club today we had a little bit of an 'old school' morning, doughnuts and tea before training accompanied by the odd story from the lad's ( Damien was on fire!) . Also knocking about was a programme with a picture of me in from 1990, which went down well for comedy value. Anyone with a Beatles haircut and shorts as high as a pair of Speedo's would sympathise with me.
It did get to me a bit though when one of the boys said that he was two years of age when that picture was taken, some were younger!. I told the lads the first fifteen years are the hardest, the rest is a breeze!. Once they start getting near me in Pre-season I'll start worrying!!!! ( Will power and the 'elbows out' technique gets me through!).
Anyway on the doughnut count we had most of the lads on one, Kev on a half, Mark Ellis on three and Tyrone last seen smuggling his fourth around the back of the changing room. Danny Stevens used his as an inflatable ring, one of the balls went into the dyke and so he jumped in to get it!!.
The 'Beavonator' just smelt his doughnut, 'Damo' just licked his and I think Elliot may have opted for the doughnut facial. Good times.


CH

No comments: