Wednesday 2 December 2009

Toe trouble

This morning I popped into the Cary Arms at Babbacombe for a light breakfast (full English!). My wife went one further by heading off in the direction of the spa room for a treatment (I know my place!). Whilst Fiona was being sanded, buffed, and rubbed, I had a chat with Ian and then afterwards took a refreshing stroll to the beach. It was a much needed breath of fresh air after another post-match sleepless night. Whether it be your mind racing over the game, or your body aching after the game, sleeping can be very difficult. Last night my toe was throbbing(yes honestly it was my toe!). Like a lot of players I like my 'footy' boots to fit tightly but inevitably your feet suffer a bit.
My toe nail is now black and probably needs drilling but I resisted the temptation to go for a spot of D.I.Y podiatry in the early hours. The last time I had this problem was a few seasons ago at Brentford. I had been grinning and bearing it for a while but late on one night, after a match, I couldn't bear it any longer and so headed for the needle box. I heated the needle over the hob and then proceeded to push it thought the nail into the toe. The relief was immense and after applying a bit of pressure the blood flowed out and I thought it was job done. Unfortunately I paid the penalty a few weeks later. I was in London with my wife to attend the club's Christmas party.
After the club 'do' we retired to the room with an ice bucket, the bucket however was not for a nice bottle of bubbly, it was for my foot!( well OK we had the champagne first). The following morning I was due to visit a surgeon about groin surgery that I needed. On arrival I showed him the 'area' but he immediately said to me that I would have to be admitted to hospital. I laughed and told him that we had planned to do some last minute Christmas shopping.
He then laughed (nervously) and said that I had some serious clotting and septicemia and that I needed to put on a drip A.S.A.P! - needless to say I didn't go Christmas shopping, my wife did get the train home , I did stay in hospital for three day's, and I haven't felt the need to mess with toe nails again ! Add to that my double hernia and groin repair a few months later, two separate injections to stop the irritation (administered by first puncturing through the pelvic bone) and a play-off semi-final (to get promoted to the Championship)loss, it was an interesting season. Oh how we laughed!!!!. It could be worse as my wife always tells me though, I could have given birth three times!!!!!!!!!.


CH

No comments: