Tuesday 7 September 2010

Blitz

Today marks the 70th anniversary of the Blitz. It is incredible to think that our capital alone was bombarded for 76 consecutive nights and that a million homes were destroyed in the process. To look at London now you would never know it, and yet if you take a look at some of the other cities that suffered heavy bombing during the war, namely Plymouth and Exeter, the damage can still be seen today. Plymouth was battered to a point where it almost had to be totally rebuilt (badly in alot of cases) and in Exeter it was miraculous that the cathedral survived. Sorry I was just running away with myself there! You don't need a history lesson, you can listen to News At Ten for that, but God Bless to all those who had to endure Hitlers Blitz.

I know I have said before that I will never buy flat pack furniture again. Unfortunately I had a moment of weakness, as my wife suggested we purchase a laptop table and a chest of drawers for our son, Cameron. As soon as I picked the offending items up from the shop though I knew we had trouble. The laptop table wasn't too bad but the chest of drawers (small) was a different story. Altogether were a mind blowing 141 pieces - you can just imagine the instruction booklet!.
In the end it took me a toe curling 125 minutes to finish constructing the beast. I have to say it does look good, but having used seven different screwdrivers, a battery powered drill that was about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, and sweating as much as Wayne Rooney at a family barbecue, I have to say that flat packs are just plain evil. I really think that the people who design these things do it with pure malice in their minds.

Isn't it always the case, Wayne Rooney had to score tonight didn't he. That's twice he has....NO STOP IT.

CH

No comments: