Thursday 4 March 2010

Keith Alexander

Apologies about the lack of blogs recently, the combination of late nights and long days are my only excuse. Before I go any further I must mention the sudden and very sad death of Keith Alexander. I had the pleasure of making my debut with Keith at Grimsby Town all those years ago and he was a really nice fella. It was a great time for him as a player and for the club with two back to back promotions. He then went on to become a successfull manager. I know he will be hugely missed by his family and by everybody who knew him.

I returned home to Devon about 3.30 a.m on Wednesday morning after our game having driven through around ten motorway detours in two counties. Nothamptonshire and Cambridgshire must both be undergoing town and city bypasses at the same time.
The game against Cambridge was very painful and very frustrating, hence it is now forgotten. We take the point but now look forward to Tuesday, our next game.
I am now at rest for a few days to try to clear up a troublesome injury so it is a case of plenty of ice, loads of happy pills, and no driving.
I watched the England game last night and had that feeling at half time that maybe all the recent controversy, or Egypt's quality on the ball, would make for a bad night but the big dancing robot calmed every ones nerves by scoring twice. It may be my last contact with the game for a while though as my wife and eldest daughter told me last night that football, my mobile, and my laptop are now banned in the house. They argued that I usually return home, give everyone a kiss and a hug, make dens with Hattie, and then spend the rest of the night texting, e-mailing, and or watching the football. Harsh, but on reflection fair.
As with my last major project - of spending a week on public transport - I may have to do the same here but with no phone, no computer, and no football.
Well at least when I'm at home anyway!.

CH

No comments: