Monday 15 March 2010

Tech

Messing about on the river, now there is a great English pastime to be enjoyed. Admittedly it was Mothers day and my wife really wanted some more time perusing the shops but the clan were getting itchy feet so I marched us off into the direction of BOATS/RIVER. Instead of opting for a leisurely punt downstream the children jumped into a rowing boat and before you could say 'boat race' I was handed two oars and given a map. It was a great laugh with Fiona trying to keep dry and the children directing me into every tree, we even managed to ruin a young couples romantic moment by meandering the wrong way. I had to shout over "This will be you one day" as I fought to get the oars back in line and told Cameron to stop rocking the boat.
Along with enjoying Oxfords magnificent buildings and history and stopping off in a brilliant old English sweet shop a lovely day was had by all.
The journey back should have been a breeze really what with two iPhones, two DVD players, a PsP, a Gameboy, an iPod and a mental amount of sweets. But no, they were bored! I would have loved them to have experienced my journeys to Devon as a child. No air con, no gadgets, just one pack of opal fruits and a game of eye spy that was supposed to last you eight hours. I dread to think how my times my parents heard "Are we there yet". My next project in the Hargeraves household is to spend a week without any electronic goods at all. We will talk and play games and it will be great....I think!
Last night of course my wife had the pleasure of watching the TV channel of her choice (Mothers day does drag on a bit!) and she plumped for a period drama. It was really enjoyable - the five minutes I saw anyway as the footy was on upstairs. Come on, I'm joking it was ten minutes really!!!!
Today I have tried to sort out the house and my body. With the children at school and my wife at work I blitzed the house (OCD) and then went running, closely followed by a trip to see the Guru.
After school I took Hatties stabilisers off her bike (she demanded they come off) and gave her her first taster of balancing. Her innocence was a joy to see as she just expected to balance without doing anything. In the end we managed ten or so yards and so a big success was had although it is really sad to think that it will be the last time I teach one of my children to ride a bike. I want them all to stay as they are, my babies! After all when your three year old says things like medal protector and labelisers instead of metal detector and stabilisers and insists that she comes training with me and the lads, it just has to make you smile.

CH

No comments: