Friday 3 October 2008

I have seen the light!.
Although I have already received a few bookings this season (one for dissent and a couple for 5 minute late challenges) the new respect to referees campaign is having a big effect on me.
This is coming from someone who has received more yellow cards than most, quite a few reds for good measure and a couple of bans for voicing my opinion to refs who I think have cost me promotions and cup victories etc(no sour grapes here honestly!)
Either its the fact that I have finally chilled out or it's that the refs are more approachable this season but I am even able to call refs by their first name.
In our recent game at Wrexham we had the usual meeting in the refs room. All the Officials both Captains and assistant Managers were present and the ref said "lads I just want us all to get on and enjoy the game, feel free to call me by my first name or 'Sooty' if you like", I'm thinking Sooty SOOTY that's unbelievable in the modern game ,but great all the same and true to form I did.
I 'Sooty', 'Sweeeped' and 'Sued' him all game, he was a top bloke. No doubt I may lose it again with the officials but I do think times have to change to calm things down on the pitch .
I know ,and have had this argument several times with mates who play and support Rugby, that the general opinion is "look at those boys what an example, total respect to the Ref". Well to that I say yes true but its not exactly a great comparison. If one of these boys throws a haymaker in a scrum or stamps on a few legs to get a ball its a case of play on, all in the sport mate or its a quick session in the old sin bin.
Imagine if I threw a quick rabbit punch after a throw in I would be at F.A. hq sharpish and labelled a Football thug.
Im not saying I want to do that but in rugby you can take your frustrations out in a tackle or a quick ruck whereas in football the ref is the punchbag verbally. Add to that the fact that there are no replays in football it is tough, but the more approachable a Referee is the better .
Its a hard job being a ref but they sometimes dont help themselves.
Remember the ref who infamously booked Gazza after he had dropped his book and been booked by Gazza himself ,a big case of humour bypass there.
Anyway lets try to get on with and not surround the ref as long as he gives us every decision!.
Must get off now as my back is beginning to collapse and my left hamstring is burning in a huge way so its Ibuprofen on toast for tea with a side order of crushed ice .



CH

No comments: