Saturday 25 October 2008

Job Done

Potential "Banana Skin" over with. Thanks for your support today on a very cold afternoon. Although the performance was not great the scoreline looks decent and we have progressed to the first round proper. These cup games are vital to the club on a financial side and we hope to do well this season in the cup competitions.
I spoke to Alex Rowe our Chairman after the game and he was relieved to be through.
Clubs in the lower leagues have to be run with great care otherwise there can be real problems.
If it wasn't for people like Alex and other local businessman/directors who love the club and are prepared to outlay the money I'm sure it would be a different story. All clubs lose money even Man Utd are a bit overdrawn, about 700 million at the last count!.
A cup run for a big club is just as important albeit on a different scale. If Leeds Utd had got into the Champions league a few years back they might still be in the Premiership and would not be continuing to pay some player's 40 grand a week wages who have since left the club!.
While I'm on the subject of support my sponsor Jody Shelley(Jodes Salon) is a another person who gives up a lot of time and money to support the club, she also does a wicked makeover. My wife has been on the receiving end of a few, I may delete that or say It was a typing error!.
If anyone is going to finally chop my 'locks' it will be Jodie. I've been tempted many times, by around 2020 I will be ready for the cull, but for now a short back and sides for me will still consist of '4mm off the ends'!.

Final mention is to Albert a Grimsby Town fan and ex resident who is currently living in Oxford. He popped into the changing room before our recent game with Oxford to say hello and he handed me another gift. Albert has given me a few gifts including a big bottle of Whisky, five packs of cards, some old coins, and the latest gift a small hip flask and miniature of Whisky. Albert obviously wants me to become a hard drinking gambler! but what a great character.
If you can fathom the computer Albert my Dad say's he will put the kettle on for the next time you visit home and pop into 'Martin Hargreaves Motorcycles'. I will send the Whisky up for you to top up your tea with!. Cheers to The Ancient Mariner.

CH

No comments: