Sunday 26 July 2009

Crazy world

It's a crazy world we live in. On one hand there are stories such as that of Harry Patch, our last remaining 'Tommy'.
He was, at 111, Britain's oldest man for the final week of his life. He was also the last surviving soldier form WW1, fighting in the sodden trenches of Passchendale where, in 1917, 70,000 British troops died on the battlefield. It was a war that he didn't like to reflect on, and who can blame him. I recently saw a picture from that war, in it five men were carrying a stretcher, they were waist deep in mud and this was a time when high tech clothing or footwear just didn't exist. When Harry Patch did reflect on of that time, the millions of lost lives, he said he always ended with the same conclusion "It wasn't worth it".

On the other hand there are stories such as that of John Terry, the Chelsea and England captain. Reacting to Man City's interest his camp have signalled their intent, for him to stay at Chelsea he wants the current 3 year contract ripped up and renegotiated to, a longer, and nearer 170,000 k a week deal, he wants the club to deliver the big signings that they promised, and he wants his employers to reassure him of his importance at the club! Wow he doesn't want much then !!!!!.
Don't get me wrong I know you have to get as much as you can from this game, but I also know something for sure, John Terry would give all of his pay rise for the remainder of his contract to replace that ball for his penalty kick in the Champions league final, and then, to smack it into the top corner. Unfortunately money cannot buy that!.

I am in a 'bear with a thorn in his paw' mood today. I cannot seem to shake off this calf injury. I have been told that it is either scar tissue that still needs a week or so to calm down, or that it is 'compartment syndrome', a much more serious, and lengthy, injury problem. Obviously I am hopeful that it is the former. To be honest though I would still not have been able to play due to the operation but one thing is for sure, my desire to do well for Torquay is as strong as ever. I am, as we speak ( or in between typing! ) doing hundreds of calf raises in the living room. The neighbours must think I'm mental, but I suppose bobbing up and down in the front room window is a bit bizarre!!!.



CH

No comments: