Monday 13 July 2009

Leap of faith

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say "It's just not working" , hence the colour change back to yellow and blue!. White and blue has been a pretty lucky colour for me in the last few months, but then again so has the yellow and blue of the blog. No more colour changes for the foreseeable future - I may have a few baubles at Christmas though!.

Today was another tough pre-season slog - running day's are always as popular as root canal work. I felt great for the first run but unfortunately my calf didn't - looks like a week or two out for yours truly. Joking aside I am a bit gutted, no player likes to miss training, never mind games, and I am no exception. Our job is all about fitness, if any part of the body is not quite right a sort of bad mood descends over you until you are fully fit again. As long as for me it's before August 8th I'll be happy!.

While Toddy and myself were waiting for Wayne and Ricey ( they were either both easing off from severe riga mortis in the shower or had been temporarily blinded by Tyronne's new boots - bright yellow! ) we decided to have a quick flutter - the races were on at Newton Abbott so it seemed rude not to.
After a quick plan ( share any winnings ) we chose two horses and then sat back safe in the knowledge that we had made good intelligent, informed decisions on our respective 'nags'. To cut a long story short mine came out with a strapping on his calf ( incredible as so did I ) and ended up looking like it had a stitch - came in 5th!. Toddy's faired better with an impressive 3rd but as my old mucker had refused to do it each way it might as well have come 33rd!. Who said betting was a mugs game ?.

I will just quickly tell you about an Austalian motorcross rider, Robbie Maddison. He featured on a TV programme tonight and made history whilst on it. After jumping such distances as the length of an American football field ( massive ) and the height of The Arc de Triomph ( huge ! a replica copy in Vegas ), he was now attempting to jump across Tower bridge in London
A few practice runs to the top of the ramp ( only a 90ft run up ) and he was on his way. Not content with a normal jump he did a 'Superman' the first time ( you let go of your bike and hold on to the back mud guard ). And yes, he did it twice, on the second run he did a '360', a complete rotation whilst jumping.
His job is not without a 'tad' of risk though. He has broken his neck, both wrists and numerous ribs, broken both legs ( pins in both ), punctured his lungs, dislocated both shoulders, shattered his collar bone, smashed his teeth and has nearly died twice!!!.
I may well revise my plan to take up motorcross again once my boots are hung up - in saying that I could just jump over a car and build from there!.

P.S On the player front, welcome to Ben Joyce who has just signed for a year. Congrats to Elliott for being normal for a week and to Rowey for cycling a hundred miles in a week.


CH

No comments: