Wednesday 26 January 2011

Domesticity

I know the modern man has reached new heights in domesticity, and I am one of them, but the sight I witnessed with my children a couple of days ago was definitely at the top end of a mans husbandry duties. I know a lot of men who have very little to do with household jobs, and I know just as many, or more, who like me dig in and crack on with all that is chore related - sometimes this may be to appease 'her indoors', sometimes it's because the old OCD has kicked in, but mostly it's because it's fair.
The sight I witnessed however just looked very unusual, I saw two men power running/pushing two high tech three wheel buggies (containing babies of course), complete with full high visibility lycra running gear.
Don't get me wrong, at times I have whipped all three of my little babies around the block (several times) to get them off to sleep, so that mum can take a breather for a while. The difference being that I had a pair of jeans on and my best mate wasn't next to me. I'm not saying it's wrong, and I don't want to judge because I don't know the circumstances, but seeing two guys decked out in base layers, pushing pushchairs, and moving along at marathon pace was a first for me.
Get your coats kids, I'm getting the four seat bike out!

P.S I have to comment on the scenes I have just seen on News at Ten. A young couple stoned to death for eloping, the woman survived and was then shot. Absolutely mental, absolutely, completely mental. For once I am at a loss for words.

CH

1 comment:

Adam Phillips said...

The baby jogger is all the rage for the modern man who wants to commit to both parenting and a gruelling marathon training program. Some even come fitted with a ledge above the rear axle. I'm told these are good for downhill stretches.

Spare a thought for poor old Martin Yelling, he's training for comrades ultra marathon in South Africa whilst his wife Liz is training for London. He's left pushing their 18 month old along for his long runs.