Monday 24 January 2011

SkyGate and Adamgate

I have to talk about the 'Skysportsgate' scandal, and the news that Andy Gray and Richard Keys have basically been suspended until further notice. I have been listening to most of the debates surrounding the subject today (I have spent a lot of time in the car!) and there have been some really interesting comments. The main train of thought is that in modern society there is no room for that type of sexism. The fact that it goes on in most pubs, and football clubs, maybe true, but in the position that Gray and Keys are in (and are very lucky, and very well paid to be in),and with the experience of broadcasting they have, harping on about the fact that a woman could be a linesman was a bit stupid - adding Karen Brady's name into the mix just added fuel to an already raging fire.
MAYBE
Maybe they are 'dinosaurs' as one phone in described, and maybe they do come from a different generation, and maybe they are just like any other blokes having a chat. Darren Gough eluded to this on talk sport this afternoon, and as much as he is also an opinionated northerner, he did have a point. He compared the lineswoman bashing to a show like Loose Women - where there is a fair amount of man bashing going on - the difference being that Loose Women is done as a bit of laugh, whereas Andy Gray and Richard Keys had no humour in their tone at all when talking about the lady in question. It would have still been wrong, but the fact that it was said in the way that is was, showed a real old school attitude. Maybe they have had their turn, maybe it is time for them to stand down, and maybe they have fallen on their own swords, because I know one thing for sure, they have had one hell of a run on a very cushy number, they have earned a hell of a lot of money, and they have been allowed to have a very opinionated voice for a long, long time.
I'm not a betting man but I would be very surprised to see an organisation and brand such as SKY glossing over this one....watch this space.


Onto Charlie Adam now, and no, not in any other year would he be good enough to play for Liverpool. He is of course a decent player, but 7 million, no, nor 6, or even 5. He is 'probably' worth about 4 million in today's over inflated game, but for a player that was run down by Sunderland's midfield on Saturday as if he wasn't even there, maybe everybody is getting a little bit too carried away.
I hope he does get the move because he deserves a chance to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, and I hope he goes there and runs the show, but I am very undecided about his price tag, about Liverpool's desperation to get him, and Blackpool's resolve to keep a player that they rely so heavily on.....watch this space!

CH

1 comment:

Sal said...

Re Andy Gray and Richard Keys...it's a huge one for debate but personally,I think that the whole thing has been blown out of proportion!

Yep, they were stupid not to check their mics but...
there are far too many ultra sensitive people in this country who are all too ready to jump on the band wagon whenever someone in the spotlight says something that they maybe they shouldn't. These people want to lighten up.
And, when all's said and done , we live in a country where free speech is actually allowed!
It's crazy, therefore, that we should forever be looking over our shoulder, living in fear that someone might be listening to our conversation, when we make sexist or even racist comments, tongue in cheek...and show me someone who does not do this. I've done it and I expect you have too.
I've sat at Plainmoor many a time throwing all sorts of sexist comments at the referees..oh yeah and even I thought that woman linesman at Plainmoor was useless!
And now, having said all that, I really have to get my head into my book of FA rules because I have never been able to get to grips with the offside rule, which I think is a nightmare!

Like my husband says, it really all started to go downhill when the chains were shortened and women were allowed out of the kitchen.
And that,of course, is tongue in cheek! I think! ;-)