Tuesday 30 December 2008

Credit Crunched

What a sad sight it is at the moment seeing Woolworth's shops closing around the country. I bought my first record( vinyl )from 'Woollies', all those years ago!. It has for lots of people, after countless shopping trips, been the final destination. I'm one of those people, in recent years being dragged in to buy gifts for someone, in past years being dragged in to get my new school uniform and pencil case !. A high street institution for many I'm sure.
Well, it's a 'goner', 200 branches going this week with the rest of the 600 due to close before Jan 5. I'm sure Frank Woolworth will be turning in his grave to see the brand come to an end. He was the man who while running his multi-million dollar chain of 5 and 10 cents stores decided it was time to go 'Big'. In 1913 he gave the go ahead and the money ( 13.5 million dollars paid in cash !!) for the construction of the Worlds tallest skyscraper ( The Woolworth Building ) to be built in New York. On completion it rose to 55 floors, achieving his goal of it being the biggest building and with it gaining some serious bragging rights.
The 'Brand' had started.
The Neo Gothical beast of a building obviously still stands in 2008, proudly sitting between newer but no less impressive structures. But poor old 'Woollies and it's thirty thousand employees does not.
Yes I have given you facts, yes I have given you heartache but at least one person was happy. My wife nipped in today for a few last minute bargains while I was being used for target practice at the bombing site (4 kids and me at the swimming pool).

By the way I saw David James out shopping today. I bumped into him in Office while looking at a pair if trainers. And what thought popped into my head ?.
Does he look at a pair of runners and say to himself "Do I really need these trainers and when is it pay day ".
Not wanting to pry I answered the question myself "Get a grip pal I'm living the dream, I'll have 2 pairs in white and 2 in black and I don't care when it's pay day baby I'm Mult...i".
I walked out empty handed, it's a five week month !. Still we will both be playing in the same cup competition this weekend, you can't buy that.

CH

No comments: