Saturday 23 January 2010

Cruel game?

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that today was a bad end to a bad week. I am exhausted pyhsically and mentally and am annoyed because I have put my family through far too much football stress this week. Today's game should have been out of sight before half-time but again it wasn't and to have lost it is just a real killer, it is the worst I have felt in a long time in a Torquay shirt. I am so thankful for the support received and wanted more than anything to at least win the game. As we all know though it never happens the easy way and sat in that changing room afterwards was tough for everybody.
The last week has been a challenge to say the least, a week when I had thought that I may be going and that ended with me playing this weekend. One thing I know for sure is that Torquay Utd getting results is the most important issue for all concerned.
My situation is the same as with most player's, come the end of their contracts, a decision has to be made and I am fine with the one made with me. A short term coaching role was talked about but it wasn't right for my family, it's as simple as that. If I do stay at Torquay which was obviously my plan from the start of the season I will do my upmost to help the team, the manager, the young lad's, and the groundsman. If I don't then it is for the right reasons.
It's not just my situation though, is an uncertain time for many player's at this club, and other's across the country at this level, but that is the way it is most seasons. Clubs have budgets to look at and player's have to fight and show character to either get a contract or to move on, and that is what is required now. Everybody needs to be doing everything in their powers on and off the pitch to win games for this club regardless of negotiations, rumours or transfers. The single most important point is that Torquay stay in this league and not only do that but drive forward, as it has over the last few seasons.
Time for bed now and at least eight hours without thinking about this sometimes beautiful, but sometimes cruel, game that we love.

CH

No comments: