Thursday 14 January 2010

Muscles

Today the team was put through it's paces before any footballs had even been touched. Our weekly visit to Steve's gym is becoming a bit of a favourite, even the lad's who usually only do bicep curls with a cup of tea are finding their feet - albeit with a helping hand from Rick and Laura.
This morning Rick got hold of Elliott and put him through his paces, this not only will help Elliott with his strength but it also keeps him away from the boy's for a good twenty minutes!
Most of the lad's throw a few weights about though, even Jake did a few pull-ups (but then had to have a rest) and the crew that think they could have future career's as body builder's (Bevan, Charnock, Hargreaves, Robertson, Mansell -sheep are incredibly strong you know!) do a bit of 'spotting' for each other and shout things like "Put another Weeetabix on there mate" whilst someone is pulling a hernia to lift a weight, sorry 'Manse'.
In all seriousness though it really should benefit the team. Whether it be upper body or leg strength, lifting weights can improve a player's fitness, strength and discipline. I met a brilliant man when I was at West Brom called Tony Ford and he changed my whole outlook on looking after your body, discipline, and motivation. I actually still used to drive to meet him on a Sunday morning in Birmingham when I had signed for Plymouth because I knew that it was important and that no one else would be doing that on a Sunday morning - this I knew because I used to be the lad who would just be usually getting in! but Tony is definitely one of the major reasons why I have kept playing for so long. That, and will power, and my wife shouting at me of course!!!!.
After Steve's we reattached our muscle linings and shot over to the racecourse to prepare for Saturday's game against Chesterfield. Will it be on ? who knows but we are preparing as normal to win the game.

CH

No comments: