Thursday 7 May 2009

Cruel game

John Terry must be hurting this morning after seeing his Chelsea team lose out to a great last minute strike and an incompetent referee last night. I took my son Cam ( a Chelsea fan ) to watch the footy and for 92 minutes we sat there comfortable in the knowledge that we would be watching the final with Chelsea in it. Well almost comfortable, because after twenty years in this crazy game I know how games can turn, and to be fair, in his short football life so far, my boy does to.
As soon as Essien swiped at the ball my instincts set in and I shouted "trouble hear", two seconds later and the ball was nestling in the Chelsea net, with it ripping the hearts out of the Chelsea players and every non-prawn sandwich eating true Chelsea supporter. After seeing his team be one penalty kick away from the European cup last year, his and his dad's team be nine minutes from a play-off final and then lose a cup final, Cam was surprisingly, but understandably philosophical about the nights events.
He just smiled and said " That's unbelievable, but what do you expect from a Norwegian ref, what good ever came out of Norway, fishing and sledging"!!. Very harsh I know, because for anyone who has been to Norway they will know that it is a fantastic place with great people but from a ten year old's perspective that was his take on the ref's performance. I'm sure much worse will be said over the next few days though!.


CH

No comments: