Wednesday 6 May 2009

Tactics

I have just been thinking about Monday's game against Histon and I have come to the conclusion that they did everything in their power to beat us - let's not forget the fact that we also had the 'pleasure' of watching another team come back from a two goal deficit just hours before we faced a team with a two goal lead ( I'm thinking playing the games at the same time would be just ever so slightly fairer!).
I'm not just talking about the long throws, corners and free-kicks, that comes with the territory. No what I'm talking about is the flooded pitch ( rumour has it they had a hose on it at one point, not just a sprinkler !) which Kenny and Shaun said at one point was nearly unplayable, the gritted pitch which was like falling on to a gravel pit, and the 'Stare out' tactic.
This was where John Beck, their assistant manager came into it, for those of you who can't remember him he was the manager of the Cambridge team that threatened to get into the premiership at one point. I remember playing there for Grimsby in the early nineties and it was the same then, cold showers, no running water and a pitch that could have doubled as a sand pit.
As we arrived at the ground and walked towards the changing room Beck was there, arms crossed, fixed look, staring at every player who walked past. I just smiled and said " Hello mate how you doing?" but Mr Todd went one better. Yes Toddy's dad had roamed into the tunnel area looking for refreshments. He saw Beck, who he hadn't recognised, and asked him " Excuse me mate do you know where I can get a cup of tea? ". Brilliant, old 'Becky' snapped back " Yeah in there somewhere".
Good work Mr Todd.
Whatever they threw at us we took it though, but I have to give credit to their players after the game. Straight after the final whistle their captain, and the player I was up against all afternoon, shook my hand and wished me good look in the final. He was obviously gutted but I think he knew that we had stood up to the bombardment and deserved to get there. It's hard to be humble in defeat but the Histon players were, and whether they agree with their own managements tactics or not, they gave it one hell of go.
We now have a couple of day's off to recharge the batteries and turn off from football, then we will return to training and prepare for the final.


CH

No comments: