Tuesday 19 May 2009

Time to relax

I woke up today and for only the second time ( the first was yesterday! ) in about six years I could relax. I bet your laughing now reading this Mum because I know you and Dad will be feeling the same x. Winning the game at the weekend has meant that this summer can actually be enjoyed, and why ? well I'll run you through the last five or six seasons ( in equation form ) to try to explain.

Last season's last two games - Play-Off loss + Cup final loss = Summer of discontent.

Season before, last game - Play-Off loss + on penalties = End of Oxford.

Season before, last game - Relegation to the BSP( Leyton Orient sent us down and were promoted, I had declined their very good offer to join them at the start of the season!!!!)= Depression!!!.

Season before, last game - Play-off loss + chance of a return to the Championship = Major groin repair, a sad farewell to Mad Dog ( Martin Allen understood that the five hour daily commute was killing me )and lots of pain.

Season before, last game - Play-Off loss on penalties + shocking Ref ( we had overturned a 2-0 deficit to be leading 3-2 but in the last minute of normal time the referee got confused and gave a free-kick the other way resulting in a goal ) = Tears and my last game and last goal for Northampton Town after four great years.

This season, last game - Play-off final.............WIN + No penalties = Total and utter joy!


As you can see the ups and downs in football can be huge, so to be able to pick the paper up and see the team on the steps of Wembley picking up the trophy is bliss, plus my wife can now go on holiday!!!.
Before I forget if I could list all the people who have helped me this season it would take a long, long time! thanks so much to you all ( you know who you are ! ), as well as the 11,000 fans who came up from Devon to the final and the countless others who willed us on at home !!!.

Finally, someone said to me after the final that they had seen a huge change in me in the final games of the season. No real stress, no pre-match Red Bull, no wearing studs ( boots! ), and even no pre-match meals . My attitude had changed dramatically from one of doubt and uncertainty to one of hope and belief. It's not melodramatic and it's not a crusade but I couldn't get the loss of James out of my thoughts. He was so young, with so much ahead of him and here was I worrying about my football. I hope you were up there looking down on that game mate because I have certainly looked up a few times in the last few weeks.


CH

No comments: