Wednesday 20 May 2009

Out of the Wilderness

I forgot to mention that I had met up with the 'Beavonator' and 'Robbo' yesterday to destroy the weights. We had a good laugh - whilst resting during super sets!- looking back at the weekend and discussing holiday plans. 'Bevs' barren spell is fast approaching a year now, so with the holiday season upon us...... maybe?. In saying that I have seen him in action recently and it was a painfull watch. A young girl approached him and asked him if he wanted a drink, a nice offer you might think. 'Bevs' said "No thanks, I'm not drinking" the girl asked why, surprised that the big man had refused the offer.

I don't know whether the big fella panicked or just thought that it would be a good talking point but his reply was dead pan " I only have one kidney "!!!!! in total David Brent style. The girl shuffled around a bit before walking away, later saying to one of the lads " Your mate is a bit weird "!. I was in stitches when 'Bevs' told me the full story. He thought that it would be a good topic of conversation as everything else in his mind had gone blank -it was either that or "How much protein do you consume in a day" !. That man is a star.
The fact that 'Robbo' is now styling him as well is of very grave concern!!.


I popped into the club today and the place is buzzing. Daryl said that the club has been transformed - just shows you what 90 minutes of football can do !. I then met Bucks ( The gaffer !) for a coffee, it was great to talk about the season, and the build up to the final, knowing that we had actually achieved what we had set out to do all those months ago. So many people have said well done and how amazing their day had been - I can only agree with that!.

To be honest when I had surfaced from the wilderness of north Devon 2 years ago, after a mammoth and hurricane induced camping trip, and received the call from Bucks, I could never have imagined the roller coaster that lay ahead.
In the first season missing out on promotion by a whisker, reaching a cup final and winning Player of the year was crazy enough but the second was the real deal. Captaining the side to Wembley, scoring and then lifting the cup, well it doesn't get any better than that, especially considering what was at stake.
Tomorrow we are going to parade the cup around the town and have a civic reception, on Friday it's the summer ball and next week we go away for a few days to celebrate promotion.
Whatever happens over the next few weeks I can honestly say that I have absolutely loved being at Torquay Utd and that I have finally achieved a boy hood dream - to stand up on a surfboard !!!!!!.

P.S The children took the papers and medal into their school today, a day they have been waiting for for a long time. It's a long story how and why we ended up living in Exeter but I can tell you that on occassions it has not been easy, especially after last seasons events. I am just so happy that my children - Cam being a footy mad, Torquay supporting ten year old boy - can be proud walking in to school !.

CH

No comments: