Tuesday 5 May 2009

One step closer

It's 2.30 a.m and I have just returned from Histon, well almost !. I had to nip back to the services, where we meet, after an SOS call from the Plymouth crew - Damo had lost his keys so I have given them my car to drive home in!!!.
What a game, I am absolutely shattered, but also absolutely delighted that we have got through these two games. Friday's game for me was a blur. James' funeral was at 2 p.m in the afternoon and my Mum said that it was the saddest thing she has ever witnessed. A mother seeing her son of seventeen buried is just horrendous and I couldn't get that thought out of my mind all day.

I had to do my job though, and that was to try to help the team to victory.
Obviously with the second leg now done, and the tie won, god willing we are just one win away from the football league.

I don't think I have ever headed so many balls in one game in my career. It was relentless, long throw, corner, free-kick, goal kick, and back to long throw again, for 90 minutes. The boys were magnificent though as were you fans who cheered us on all afternoon. Every time we defended another 'Bomb' into the box a huge cheer could be heard. If ever there was a thirteenth man it was today, thank-you to everyone who travelled to watch us, you were brilliant.

I have to say a huge thanks as well to my family, and, on behalf of all the lads, to their families!!!. Any wife or girlfriend, Mum or Dad, Son or Daughter will tell you that footballers never turn off from football and are more up and down than a yo-yo. At least now we are all one step closer to a stress free summer!.
It has been a crazy month really, at one point thinking we could go straight up, then being on the edge of the play-offs and now winning the Semi-final. The last two seasons have certainly been entertaining.
The pain of last season has driven me, and I'm sure many others on. I hope it is our destiny to win it this year. Until then let us all enjoy this small victory.

Sleep time!.

CH

No comments: