Wednesday 11 November 2009

11.11.11

A battle of wills is now commencing. Harriet is currently, already, 2-0 ahead. We are watching 'Peppa Pig' instead of breakfast news, and we are then going swimming instead of relaxing with a paper and cup of coffee. Three year old girls can be very persuasive! I will report later on the day's events, for now though I have to go.."Yes Hula Hoops on a silver platter coming up".

LATER...

I think we all know who got the better of who today. I will give you a bit of a clue, I lost and Harriet didn't!

11.11.11

Already a day of reflection, it was really sad to hear the news that the Hanover goalkeeper and German international, Robert Enke, had committed suicide. He had, it seemed, fought depression over his fear of failure - after a few turbulent loan moves had ended badly. His doctor believed that the player had shown signs of recovery but after his teams draw at the weekend Enke left his car beside a railway line and walked in front of a train. His wife had said that football was his life.
The news has shocked his home nation and it's players.
For me the whole thing brings back the shock of James death. James was so young, he had the world at his feet and his life was cruelly taken. In the case of Enke perhaps he didn't realise what he actually had.
The pressure in sport can be huge but I have said before, and today of all days should confirm it, that, although it can seem all consuming at times, football is not more important than life or death.


P.S Does the figure of £45,570,835.50 ring any bells? Well if I told you that Lee Scadding changed his original selection of numbers in favour of two 'lucky dips' and that he then subsequently hit the jackpot, it may give it away!
With a half share of Saturday's £91m lottery jackpot, Mr and Mrs Scadding are now very rich. They are planning to buy a Range Rover Sport with 'Ivory trim' and a holiday home in Barbados - I wonder what they will do with the change.
By the way I recommend a trip to Gwent from now on to buy your lottery tickets, as apparently Mr and Mrs 'Jammy' (Yes I am bitter) are the seventh set of lottery millionaires to come from the area. I'm not bitter really, I would gladly take the 570,835.50. In fact with Santa 'coming' I would gladly take the 835.50!!!!!

CH

P.S A days interest on £45m is about five and a half grand, chin up!

No comments: