Monday 16 November 2009

Test

I was in the expert hands of Pete Morgan (T.U.F.C physio) this morning, a bit of sanding, buffing, zapping and rubbing followed before I headed off to join Nat on the BBC sofa in Plymouth. I witnessed some fancy footwork first (Natalie's charity 'Strictly' dance off!) and then it was "In 3-2-1..go" for some 'Lawrenceson style' punditry. It can sometimes be difficult to comment on my fellow professionals as I still know how hard it is out there, so doling out criticism in the bucket loads is not really an option!
It was then back home to pick Cam up and take him to see Miss Banner(Cam's tutor). He is in the middle of sitting the 11+, and has been, like many, having a bit of extra tuition. The test itself would challenge many an adult and Cam has only had a few extra lessons but I am proud of him for going for it whether he passes, and 'gets in', or not.
I noticed the front page of the Herald today followed with a story about the closures of many a country pub due to the extortionate rates being charged for the premises. As it happens I was in one of these fine establishments last week (and this week!), as luck would have it it was only for a coffee, but anyway I was chatting to the landlord and he informed me that before he could turn on a light, or pull an obligatory pint, the tidy sum of £125,000 a year would have to be found for the lease, rent, and dreaded rates. My limited maths tells me that he would have to make about two and a half thousand pounds a week just to break even. Even with the takings of a balmy summer, the combination of the bills and the rates and the supermarkets '20 bottles for a fiver' offers, it means that any profit is going to be very hard to earn. That lease in question is up for sale!.
What a shame though that the 'local' may become a thing of the past. Still if the government, together with the breweries, could sort out the £3.40 it costs for a glass (large) of red, it may help bring punters back in. Rant over, and drink only in moderation.

CH

No comments: