Monday 2 November 2009

Kevin Nicholson - Uncensored..ish!

I am sat in my living room desperate to think of something interesting to write for my second guest blog appearance.
Again its an honour to be asked to do this but the first time I did it was a lot easier as I enjoyed exposing Mr Hargreaves for the self loving, circumstance twisting, manipulator of all things that he is.
A lot has changed since my last venture into the world of blogging. Last time I tapped away on this laptop we were starting a decent run of form after a poor start in the Blue Square Prem', our focus back then was promotion at all costs.
What a season it turned out to be although I'm still not sure if it was worth it now that Tarzan can throw his "Hands up if you've scored at Wembley" shout in to end any football debate he may get into.
I am now a dad, father to a beautiful little 'accident' called Jessica, whose first public outing was on the open top bus tour after our promotion. It was an amazing experience for us all and the following day both Jess and my (very lucky to have me) fiance Jenny were on the front of one local paper, they also had there picture in the Herald. That pretty much means they have both had more pictures of themselves in the paper than I have!
This is mainly because most nights it seems its either the 'Herald Evening Sills' or even more common and sleep inducing the 'Herald and Hargreaves'
Both the players mentioned take great delight in this fact and I for one want to see a bit more of the real peoples players, i.e the Nicholsons and the Mansells of this world!
My two years at Torquay had almost drained me of any memory of what it was like to have bad times in football, three games into this season and it was looking like we were going to just carry on where we had left off last year. Unfortunately football isn't like that and September and October brought everyone crashing back down to earth.
Being a footballer is the greatest job in the world, getting paid to keep fit, running out onto a field and getting cheered on, and having your name sung whilst trying to beat your opponents, but when results don't go your way, and things seem to go against you, I doubt there are many jobs that stay with you as much as football does when you get home.
When you have lost on a Saturday there is nothing that can be said by a loving wife/fiance/girlfriend that can lift you out of some very dark places. You lay in bed going over the game, what you could have done differently or any mistakes that you may have made, (unless your 'Greavsie' who goes over everyone else's mistakes instead!) you just can't sleep.
You get up the next morning and find yourself drawn to the papers to see how many stars Ross Reid has given you and then hold your breath the next day in case big Dave Thomas has destroyed you in his four page pull out. (if you are me or manse you ring each other to ask why Dave only seems to have pictures of our feminine looking number 14 or our big time number 8)
You slide under the changing room doors on Monday morning before kicking each other all over Newton Abbot race course.
Then the rebuilding begins and the focus starts again ready for the weekend, you look at the league table and realise that a couple of wins will have you back in the mix and that all will be forgotten by 3 o'clock on Saturday when you are ready and raring to go again. The problems begin if you don't get the result you want as the whole cycle starts again.
I know some fans just think that you go home and put your feet up and forget what just happened but I assure you, it doesn't work like that.
However we WON on Saturday, it was a great game of football, end to end stuff, two good teams smashing head on into each other, two inspired goal keepers and a great team performance from us, with what sounded like a lot more than 2700 people screaming us on.
And so I sit and watch MOTD without hating football looking forward to the Football League Review show and all three and a half seconds of highlights that they dedicated to our great game.
I got up on Sunday buzzing and checked the papers only to see that Ross Reid had accidentally put a star meant for me in front of Hargreaves' name. On Monday I skipped, stiffly, into training, before getting the Herald, opening it up, and. . . . . seeing a big picture of Tim Sills and Chris Hargreaves!!!!!
I'm on my way down to Mansells shortly!!!
Onwards and upwards we go now, starting with a cup run and then we climb this league like we did last year, I want a month of nothing but positives.
Im watching Spotlight tonight to see our game, as apparently its Steve Claridge on the couch, listening to him talk is painful at the best of times but he is a lot better than that older guy who I've seen on there lately x x

KN

So there you have it, proof that Kev is a bitter and twisted young man. Only joking mate, great stuff. However, it would have been posted much sooner had I not had to correct your grammatical errors and spelling mistakes for the last 20 minutes. I gave up in the end. Miaow!

CH

P.S Lamb's debut blog unveiled tomorrow.

No comments: