Wednesday 5 November 2008

Christmas Lists

It's 12.15 a.m I have just returned from the game against Weymouth, it's all quiet here so I thought I would take the opportunity to type away!.
The game went well, a very professional display, a clean sheet, 3 good goals, job done now onto the next game. Again thanks for the support tonight, on a weekday and with work tomorrow it's obviously a big ask so we all really appreciate that.
I was a bit reflective last night, the children had decided to write and post to Santa their Christmas lists. As they were busily writing away I was watching the news , the crisis in Congo was on, basically tens of thousands of refugees needing water food and clothing. Some families there hadn't eaten for a week !.
I thought to myself that I start having hot sweats if I haven't eaten for a few hours never mind a day or a week. Then there's the annual pilgrimage everyone makes to the supermarket to load the old trolley up for Christmas. A bizarre rumour usually starts somewhere that all shop workers are striking for a week so it's panic stations. The queues at each checkout are 20 deep and the trolleys are filled with 8 litres of coke, a 48 pound freak turkey, a 48 multi bag of crisps, a sack of potatoes , 12 loaves of bread, a torch, some candles maybe a flare and don't forget the roses, quality streets , nuts and satsumas.
Back to the lists and without me saying anything I think the kids had picked up on the news story, well the girls had anyway!. The boy was cracking on, his pencil was on fire. It was refreshing asking Harriet what she wanted, her list was as follows,
Some Baby bells(cheese)
Some hammy(Ham)
A warmy top
A lollo(lolly)
A fi-fi
Some milky
Hatty would be delighted if we just wrapped up a pack of ham and a six Pinter of milk!!!!.
It just comes down to food when your a baby. I'm no humbug I love giving out pressies but I definitely think we could survive without sets of bubble baths shaped as fruit or a Santa in a desert in a glass ball being fanned by a monkey!.

When everyone had finished we put Santa's address on the envelope and prepared to post them. Great sight seeing them all beaming away posting their lists in their pyjamas. Let's just hope the credit crunch hasn't reached Lapland!.
I may read this blog in the morning and think 'wow delete, delete' as the old mind races a bit after games. I am now going to attempt to reduce the sweet mountain we still have after Halloween whilst watching late night TV.


CH

No comments: