Monday 24 November 2008

Today I tried to go shopping with the girls, my Wife and Daughter, but again I failed. Fiona wanted to buy a few things so I entertained Hatty but I was beaten both mentally and physically. Physically, 10 yards of being in her buggy and it's "Shoulders Daddy, the old body starts to creak after carrying 'H' for 30 mins. Mentally there are only so many shops you can be led into and asked "What do you think about this one, is it really me!!!". Harriet tried her best as well, she entertained the Xmas shopper's by waving and dancing from inside the window displays but after an hour ( and that included coffee) we were both broken so we abandoned ship and returned home, leaving Fiona to shop and relax! for a few hours.


I was asked recently by a friend if I wanted to try the Paris- Dakar rally. As much as I want to it's difficult while I'm playing football, and judging by Charlie Boorman's ( of Long Way Round) retirement in a recent rally due to a broken hand (he fell off his bike) it's pretty dangerous too. The journey is mammoth, around 5 thousand miles, and dangerous, this year's rally was cancelled because of the danger in Africa, it will now take place in South America in Jan 2009. As with all the adventures that I fancy doing they are firmly on the back burner for a few years yet ( hopefully!!). It doesn't stop me plotting and planning though, Everest, the London Marathon, the Amazon, even surviving an afternoon's shopping with the girl's are all challenges ahead!!!.

One adventure that may not take place is a one that another friend of mine recently completed. The annual Mont Blanc 100 mile run is not one for the faint hearted. It basically is a non stop, yes non stop, run over ridiculous terrain ( mountainous) in as quick a time as possible. Rob completed the run in around 40 hours, he said he was hallucinating towards the end and that stopping for a drink 6 or so miles before the end was a big mistake. The last few miles, up hill, took about 7 hours!!!. A great achievement and a very emotional finish I'm sure for him and his waiting family.

CH

No comments: