Saturday 6 February 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY POP, MARTIN H, A TOP DAD AND A TOP MAN


Well I have just arrived back in Devon (with three Easter eggs and an industrial sized toblerone for the clan) after a good, if a bit frustrating, return to the Kassam stadium. Firstly though I was gutted to see the lad's lose at Hereford today. Like everyone I am concerned at the position the club find themselves in, I think it is time for a war cry to get everybody pulling in the same direction from players, to staff, and of course to the fans. It would be great if the club could put a real push on to get more fans through the turnstiles, maybe reducing the ticket prices for the run in and saying come and support us as we need you.
I know a lot of talk has been of progression at the club and as I have said before I'm all for it, but at the moment I think a bit of blood and thunder football is required, at least to get a few wins on the board and then worry about the performances and the progression later. It is easy for me to talk about it now as I know how hard it is out there, but you can never underestimate the value of team spirit and fight so hopefully next weekend Port Vale will know they have been in a game and will be leaving Devon empty handed.
Now to Oxford, my new club. Today was one of those day's when the ball just did not want to go in the back of the net, plenty of chances just no finish. I was really grateful for the kind reception I got and had really hoped my for a win on my return but it wasn't to be. The effort was definitely there though and it was a game that could have been lost at the end whilst pushing for the victory so all in all we take the point and look forward to a massive game against Luton away on Tuesday. It will be a 10,000 sellout crowd so a great game to play in and an even better one to win.
The pressure and expectation at Oxford is very high but it should be, the club need promotion as badly we did in those last few seasons. I want promotion for that club as I wanted it for Torquay so hopefully the same happens as it did for us come the end of a hard seasons work.
I will be travelling back up to Oxford tomorrow for training on Monday and then nipping back to see Nat for a little 'punditry' on the evening. Until then it's a catch up, a walk on the beach, and a Grandma Joan roast. As far as the family are concerned I haven't seen Hattie yet but apparently she is even more obsessed with "Wull" next door (her boyfriend) to the point where she demands to see him every day after school, the school they go to together that is!!. Issy has nearly recovered from the question mark swine flu/glandular fever/tonsillitis/fancy a couple of weeks off school virus! Cam has just reluctantly gone to bed but is looking forward to wearing his new boots and destroying the opposition tomorrow, and finally my wife Fiona was busy checking out Tiffany's entire online collection on my return. Nothing changes really!
Enjoy the weekend one and all.

CH

No comments: